Toyota Camry 2017 equipped with Event Data Recorder (EDR). The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as hitting a road obstacle or an air bag deployment, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related to safety systems and vehicle dynamics for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less.
The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
- How fast the vehicle was traveling;
- How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake pedal;
- Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened; and,
How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
These data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur.
NOTE: EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions and no personal data (e.g., name, gender, age, and crash location) are recorded. However, other parties, such as law enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of personally identifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.
To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the EDR.
Disclosure of the EDR data for Toyota Camry 2017 Owners
Toyota will not disclose the data recorded in an EDR to a third party except when:
- An agreement from the vehicle’s owner (or the lessee for a leased vehicle) is obtained
- In response to an official request by the police, a court of law or a government agency
- For use by Toyota in a law suit
- However, if necessary, Toyota may:
• Use the data for research on vehicle safety performance
• Disclose the data to a third party for research purposes without disclosing information about the specific vehicle or vehicle owner Event data recorder